HARBOUR FERRY CAPTAIN
The Captain provides narrated tours and water taxi service to Victoria Harbour Ferry passengers. The role is based on our commitment to safety (on and off the vessel). Passenger service and attention to detail are supported by our motto – “Happy People in Happy Boats.” Captains must be qualified and ready to perform duties onboard any harbour ferry vessel. A Harbour Ferry Captain is a dedicated, loyal and self-motivated individual who works well in a disciplined, directed environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As a Harbour Ferry Captain you will be required to:
- Provide a high standard of safe vessel operations and work cooperatively with the VHFC team, to ensure that all safety protocols are followed at all times
- Provide a pleasant and welcoming attitude to all passengers and staff
- Engage in providing narrated tours – Harbour Tour and Gorge Tour
- Process ticket sales, maintain an accurate and complete record of daily sales and balance sales at the conclusion of each shift
- Work with Customer Service Representatives to coordinate the boarding of passengers
- Provide the Watch Leader with notice of incidents or situations that can impact safety or compromise our high level of customer care
- Once trained by the Watch Leaders of VHFC, the Captain must remain familiar with all VHFC processes and procedures, products, services and sales information. (available on VHFC Intranet)
QUALIFICATION AND REQUIREMENTS
- SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Course)
- Basic Marine First Aid
- Small Non-Pleasure Domestic Vessel Basic Safety (SDV-BS)
- ROC-M (VHF) Radio License Certificate
- A medical letter attesting that you have no physical limitations (hearing, eyesight, cardio or respiratory) and no physical impairments (ie. cannot bend at the knees etc.)
- Attention to detail — This job requires that you pay attention to your surroundings, other vessels, aircraft, non-powered vessels, lines of travel, radio transmissions and passengers
- Dependability — Capable of working as a part of a team
- Stress Tolerance — This role occurs in a fast-paced environment and you must be able to work under stress during peak operating hours
- Positive Attitude — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude
- Working Conditions — You will be required to work in varying weather conditions while standing for long periods of time
- Presentable, energetic & physically fit
- Able to work as part of a team
- Experienced in handling small boats or ability to learn this skill
- Exceptional customer serviceability
- Excellent English language skills (other languages an asset)
- Ticket Sales — Capable of processing ticket sales while onboard the vessel, using a digital handheld device
- Technical Skills – Able to understand and use software-based tools with ease
- Communication — Job requires the use of a personal email address for receiving corporate correspondence. The Captain will also be required to visit the company’s intranet site to learn more about what is occurring within the company and the working environment (harbour).
The position pays $16.50 per hour (regular shifts and other duties). There is no overtime allowance other than Stat Pay. Holiday pay is paid with each pay period.
Captains are required to work day shifts and afternoon shifts (usually 9 AM to 3 PM and 3 PM to 9 PM). Workdays are Monday to Sunday. Regularly scheduled shifts are 4 days on and 4 days off of day shift followed by 4 days on and 4 days off of afternoon shifts.
Note: Captains are asked to not take holidays off during the months of June, July and August (peak of the season)
Company uniforms are provided for this position
The Harbour Ferry Captain reports directly to the Watch Leader on duty.
If you're interested in this position, we'd love to hear from you. Send us your resume using the form below and we'll be in touch!